Wednesday, September 8, 2010

a new knee and an old soul

you might be puzzled by the titel of this post but rest assured, it will all start to make sense as you read on.  well a lot has happened since the last time i blogged...i'll give those of you who don't know a brief update but knowing me i'll ramble for a good four paragraphs.

so i had been having some knee pain recently and so after about two weeks of my knee randomly giving out in innapropriate situations for it to do so such as running, walking up the stairs, and dancing in the kitchen with my sisters, i finally decided it would be a good idea to tell my mom about it. she, being the responsible adult in the situation, called to schedule an appointment for me to see my orthopedic surgeon...the reason why i already had one of these is because i had knee surgery in 7th grade due to an oh so tragic basketball injury.  needless to say, that incident ended my soaring basketball career and ended my dream of ultimate becoming a WNBA balla.  but let's be honest, if it wasn't the knee, i would eventually have realized that my skillz were not all i thought they were and that very rarely does a gangly white girl from the suburbs make it in the big leagues. but my once upon a time basketball anecdotes and dreams are neither here nor there. what i was trying to say before i was rudely interrupted by my stream of consciousness is that my mom called the orthpedic office only to be told that i can no longer go to my surgeon because he only deals with pediatrics and that i was going to have to be the one to set up an appointment because i'm considered an adult apparently by the world of medicine. talk about a slap in the face.  not for cheryl (mom.i often refer to her by her first name) but for me. who are these people to say that i'm too "old" to go to dr. bassett? i liked doctor bassett. i was familiar with doctor bassett.  and what's up with me having to make appointments?  i mean i do when my mom tells me to but when she's offering to call, i gladly accept. now she can't even speak for me when she offers?  personally, i think it's bogus. but i'm not about to get on a soap box about me rejecting the idea of becoming an adult which is a new development by the way, i used to want to grow up as fast as i can. but anywho, i called the doctor's office and set up an appointment. when i got there, they looked at my knee, moved it in very uncomfortable positions and with worried looks on their faces, they said "we need to get you into an MRI as soon as possible."  so MRI we did.  when the results came back, i was happy to hear that it wasn't a meniscus tear but disappointed to find out that the freaking MRI couldn't read whether or not my ACL was torn or not...whatta buzzkill. so basically the doc looked at me and said "listen kid, either you don't see what's wrong and just go about your business.go to california on the 28th, live your life, and just see what happens. or you can get 'scoped' and that will tell us if we need to repair anything.if we do, we will. and if we don't, we won't. simple as that...BUT you won't know when you can leave for california until you wake up. and it could be as little as six weeks from now or it could be as long as six months depending on the state of your knee...blah blah blah"  i sat there thinking about what choice i would usually make which would be to just go and roll with it and about how bad my knee hurt and the gut feeling that i had that something just wasn't right.  i decided to go with the surgery and by the following monday i was in a saint mary's hospital bed wearing booties, a hideous hospital gown, and a hair net/cap thing. 

i'm going to be honest, i was pretty nervous. like, i want to puke everywhere because i'm so nervous but i can't because i haven't had anything to eat or drink since 12 a.m. due to surgery protocol. but i just wanted to get it over with.  when i woke up i was in a complete daze...thank you anesthesia and vicodin.  the nurse told me in recovery that my acl wasn't torn which made me laugh from happiness because that meant that i didn't have a six month recovery. once i stopped giggling, she told me that my meniscus was torn after all, along with some cartilage.but they repaired everything and i would be able to leave for california in 6 weeks! i felt so blessed that i got the best possible outcome i couldn't believe it.  here i was, complaining about how i had a dark cloud over my head and that nothing was working out for me and it was just one small thing in retrospect.  i wish i could have this kind of perspective while i'm actually in the think of the situation.  isn't that annoying?  that you can't really think as rationally as you want when something's going "wrong".  honestly, i'm glad this happened because it was just another reminder that i'm not in control of everything.  the big man's in the driver's seat and i'm just along for the ride. 

so on october 16th, god willing, i will be on my way to san jose!  but until then, i need to stay busy for not only my own sanity but the sanity of my family.  i have been so completely annoying to them sinc ei've had my surgery.  i've been very bored and i've had limited mobility so i constantly want them hanging out with me, talking to me, watching movies with me, just sitting in the same room as me.  i swear this is making them so ready for me to get out of the house!  so i've decided to take up some hobbies, either discovered or undiscovered, while i'm still home to keep me busy and active.  so far i've decided that i'm going to learn how to knit, make many friendship bracelets, brush up on spanish, and volunteer at the karen house for a few hours a week.  i honestly feel like i'm retiring and trying to figure out how i want to spend my time (well, minus the friendship bracelet making...i don't think that's a regular pastime of the elderly.  i've also started going to go to physical therapy twice a week at a place where i am practically the only patient under the age of 65. so there you have it...a new knee and an old soul. and ya know what? i feel damn good about it.  i like doing activities that are perceived as old geezer things to do. and i certainly like having a knee that doesn't give out on a whim...that's nice.

welp until next blog, adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment